Important reminders about vaccines
- the dose of influenza vaccines for all ages is now 0.5mL. Please check that the individuals age and select the correct vaccine funded before administration.
- the QIV Fluad® Quad (Seqirus) contains an adjuvant and is recommended for all people ≥65 years of age over other available quadrivalent vaccines.
This is a good time to check older patients’ pneumococcal vaccination status, noting:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander adults aged 50 years and over without medical risk conditions for pneumococcal disease.
- non-Indigenous adults aged 70 years and over without medical risk conditions for pneumococcal disease.
- people over 12 months with certain medical risk conditions for pneumococcal disease.
- the National Immunisation Program Pneumococcal vaccination schedule shows the clinical decision tree for vaccination providers which can assist to also determine who is recommended to receive pneumovax23 and those who can receive publicly funded pneumovax23.
- pneumococcal vaccines will NOT provide protection against COVID-19 and extra doses on top of those recommended in the Australian Immunisation Handbook are not required.
More information on pneumococcal vaccination recommendations and eligibility can be found here.